Does your business have a blog? If not, is there a particular reason? A well-maintained blog is a most effective way of generating traffic to your website, whatever your line of business. If you haven’t made the effort yet, you’re likely to be missing out.
If on the other hand, you’re one of the smart people that’s aware of the major advantages offered by a blog, here’s a few tips to ensure yours stays in the spotlight!
- Update your Blog regularly: Visitors won’t come back to a neglected blog. Keep them interested and add fresh content as frequently as is comfortable for you. Once a week is as good as anything. Don’t forget that search engines love blogs because they’re usually updated frequently – fresh content is SEO gold!
- Use keywords in your Blog posts: More SEO ammunition – aim for a keyword density of around 2% in each post, also use keywords in your image alt and title tags, headings etc.
- Topicality and Relevance: If you can write about a topical news item, and relate it to your industry, you’re laughing! A recent example would be the UK riots – it was quite easy for me to write a post about this and relate it to social media — many of my colleagues did the same.
- Brand your Blog: Ideally, integrate your blog into your website so that users just have to click a link in the navigation menu. If you use WordPress as I do, this is simplicity itself. If this isn’t possible and your blog is on an external site, at least match the colours, fonts, logos etc. so visitors don’t feel confused.
- Use Social Sharing: Offer visitors the opportunity to share your posts on a variety of social networks – the main ones being Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn, but now Google Plus is more or less essential too, and also consider Digg, StumbleUpon, Delicious and Reddit. Various WordPress plugins are available to make this very simple, or many of the social sites themselves offer widgets to integrate into your blog.
- Invite Guest Bloggers: A blog benefits from fresh input from time to time – why not ask other bloggers in your industry to share their work? It benefits both of you by generating links (another vital component of SEO)
Do you have any great tips for keeping a blog fresh and visible? Let me know in the comments!
Need help with setting up a blog? You can contact me on 01777 249075
or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org